Friday, October 27, 2006

Sparring

I enjoyed my first time sparring. As I faced my opponent, I experienced a joyful, primal feeling. By primal, I mean that some very fundamental instinct which had seemingly been dormant, was awakened. I felt alert but at ease at the same time. I felt protective of myself, but that I could trust my brain to automatically give the commands to my arms to ward off blows without thinking about it. My eyes felt quick to move, looking for opportunity to strike. I felt light on my feet as though I wanted to imagine being a cat, or a panther!

I think what makes it easier is that we spar with only light contact. I wonder if this is a less effective way of preparing for an actual fight; one could tend to attack and move out too quickly without commiting fully to the punch or kick. The only low point was when one of my partners (he had said to me at the beginning of class, "I want to spar YOU!") got a kick through to my stomach, and actually made hard contact. I had the wind knocked out of me for a bit. Maybe he didn't have enough control, though I don't really believe that, and am putting it down to his immaturity. Good lesson for me I guess, not to trust anyone to hit lightly, no matter what the rules.

21 comments:

Brittney said...

Isn't sparring a blast? It takes some time to develop the skill, but from the sounds of it your on your way.

There is always one student in the dojang that will kick/punch harder then they are supposed to. "J" is the on in our dojang. I ended up with a huge bruise on my shin from him this week. But, I want to spar him more. His technique is great, and he has some intresting combinations.

Little Cricket said...

Yes, it is. You must have been pretty young when you first sparred. For me, it felt like...oh! this is something that feels so natural for a person to do (not that I am saying I feel very good at it or anything), I wish I had done it earlier in my life.

I guess it really made a difference that we had learned something about how to kick and punch, so I didn't feel clumsy, or too unsure of what to do.

John Vesia said...

Good to hear that you enjoyed you're first sparring session. You're right when you say that light contact fighting doesn't really prepare you for the real thing. But it's a good way to learn. Occasionally you will be matched up with someone who lacks control. Just tell that person to lighten up! (btw, I really liked the wording in you're opening paragraph. For a yellow belt you seem to have a good grasp of what the martial arts are all about.)

Little Cricket said...

John sir,

Thanks for visiting, and for your kind words. I feel I still have a long way to go to understand more what the martial arts are about. Experience and adversity are good teachers. Being a very new beginner, I imagine how much more adversity I need to experience along the way, when I think of the people who practice MA for years and years!

LC

Anonymous said...

When someone you don't know well says they want to "spar" you, BEWARE! It never ends well.

Little Cricket said...

Hi Martial Developement,

True, this guy still tries to 'playfully' punch and kick me before class. Very annoying. I've avoided sparring him in class.

Anonymous said...

diazepam online diazepam dosage mri - buy diazepam online no prescription usa

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam valium side effects rash - diazepam 10 mg duration

Anonymous said...

what is zolpidem zolpidem tartrate 10 mg tablet dosage - who makes generic zolpidem

Anonymous said...

diazepam 5mg dose of diazepam - buy diazepam no prescription usa

Anonymous said...

valium diazepam diazepam valium expired - diazepam youtube

Anonymous said...

cheap ativan 1mg lorazepam vs. 1mg xanax - can get high ativan

Anonymous said...

zolpidem online zolpidem e 79 - buy zolpidem online canada

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam buy valium online canada - valium diazepam mg

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan ingredients - 4 mg ativan high

Anonymous said...

what does diazepam look like diazepam dosage overdose - diazepam rectal dose

Anonymous said...

ativan no prescription buy lorazepam online india - buy lorazepam online mastercard

Anonymous said...

soma pills buy soma online from mexico - buy soma online $0.45 each

Anonymous said...

ambien on line ambien cr 12.5 recreational - ambien 3 mg

Anonymous said...

buy valium online generic for valium 10mg - buying valium online illegal

Anonymous said...

purchase valium valium drug test urine - what is valium used for yahoo