Thursday, October 19, 2006

New Moves and Sparring

Today we had our first class as yellow belts. The new things we learnt were:

* Punching, and kicking from fighting stance (body sideways). I need to remember:
- Punching: start punches underhand (forward hand or back?)
- Front kick: pivot on front kick first, then kick
- Step-side kick (not sure that this wasn't back kick): keep non-kicking foot in place while chambering, while the kicking knee points downwards. The foot closer to enemy is kicking foot.
* Dan Gun form
* One-Step Pattern #5: Block with (left) hand while executing punch which starts overhand, and hits underhand. With blocking (left) hand, grab attackers punching hand, and keeping feet in place, but pivoting away from attacker, pulling hand with their arm straight over my (left) shoulder, take step with (left) foot, while pulling arm over my head, still straight, bend their hand downwards, while pulling them to ground.
* I need to focus on pushing belly out more for my Side kick.

I've been out of town for a week, and the combination of eating out and no exercise were making me feel sluggish. So I'm glad I went to class. Unfortunately, I have to travel again this week. I'll have to miss my first class of sparring on Sunday...too bad.

I am nervous about sparring. About getting hurt, but also the very idea of fighting someone. I've been a terrible sissy since childhood. If I got into a fight, I would always back off, I had no idea how to efficiently fight someone. Sometimes, I would just retreat, humiliated, after trying to fight, and clumsily failing. I remember two instances. The first, I was 10, and the girl I was threatening to hit just grabbed my wrist, and I could do nothing. The second, I was about 11, and I ran up to this other kid to give him a 'flying' kick (he was calling me stupid names) and I just ended up short, not making any contact. I think of myself as a bit more coordinated and less clumsy now, but these thoughts are at the back of my mind.

4 comments:

Brittney said...

Glad to see you posting. I assume you got your yellow belt?

What style of forms are you doing, if you don't mind me asking. We do Tae Guek.

Little Cricket said...

Yes, I did get the belt.

It seems to me from this page:

http://www.natkd.com/tkd_forms.htm

that the forms we do (Chon Ji, Dan Gun, so far) are Chang Hon.

Do you know more about the differences between the various kinds? Why do different schools do different ones?

Brittney said...

There are various 'styles' of taekwondo, and depending if the school is, and if it is affliliated with an association (ATA, ITF, USTA etc). The form system varies.

Our school is independent, but we do Tae Geuk. This is the style of forms the WTF uses (USTA). Our instructor is a 4th degree in the ATA though, and they use a different style.

I don't think the forms you do matter, I was just curious as to which type the name of the form belonged to.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the sparring. It makes everyone nervous at first! Believe me.

At my school (I do ITA) we start sparring at green belt. I got up to senior blue, and had to take a break because of my hectic life. I've come back six years later, and I absolutely love it. I'd always been kind of a wimp, too, when it came to being physically threatened, at least, but not any more. Sparring can change that for you I think. My instructors teach that being put in stressful situations (such as sparring black belts, or doing tournaments) will do wonders for your real-life confidence. It's true!

Just remember when you start out not to get discouraged, because it's not easy. But time and practice will fix that. These websites are really great for technique, strategy, and combos. http://home.att.net/~taekwondo.junkie/Strategy.html
http://www.tkdnsw.org.au/sparring.asp
Good luck!