Friday, September 22, 2006

Why I Like Taekwondo #1

I think one of the reasons is the discipline. The stricter the better. And the feeling that if I put work into it, I will achieve something.

I always feel that in the rest of my life everybody is always polite and soft spoken with each other. They "suggest" you should do something, while probably meaning that they expect you to. I like it that my instructor expects total obedience, but makes it so clear. I like it when he reprimands me for my technique. When he shouts about putting more effort into my kicks or making it faster, I feel very motivated to do it. Its a very physical/emotional feeling, unlike with a lot of my thesis work where a lot of the motivation has to come from inside myself and I never have a physical or such a strong sense of emotional motivation (except dissapointment when things don't work out...ok there are very rare moments of elation too, when something actually works). The second point especially, I often feel that I have to put in a superhuman amount of effort into my research, often with no tangible achievement.

No comments: