Sunday, September 24, 2006

Stretching

I've decided to do a stretching routine everyday, even (or especially) on off days, twice a day. I got off to a good start today, though I woke up only at 10. After taking a hot shower, did a small warmup and stretching session.

Warmup consisted of 30-50 each of
* Jumping jacks (I never see people doing these in gyms anymore. Is it embarrassing or something?)
* Neck rotations
* Arm rotations
* Hip rotations
* Side to side rotations for hips
* Knee rotations
* Windmills touching toes
* Ankle rotations

Stretching consisted of 5 stretches each for a count of 10
While standing:
* Touching toes
* Touching toes one leg crossed before the other
* Touching toes with legs spread wide
* Lunges, side and front (I skipped these today because of the knee)
While sitting:
* Touch toes of one leg with other leg bent in sitting position
* Touch toes of one leg with head to knee while other leg is stretched out
* Touch toes of both legs with legs spread
* With legs spread (try to) put forearms flat on the ground
* Stretch groin by putting soles of feet together
While standing:
* Quad stretch: hold foot with one hand and touch foot to butt from behind
* Splits, side and front (I skipped these too today)
* Side stretch, reach with hand towards opposite leg while bending sideways

I was kind of making it up as I went along, so now I'm glad to have it written down for future reference.

It felt pretty good at the end. Its probably stupid but I've never paid much attention to stretching. I guess I never did anything vigorous enough to warrant it. When I used to go running, I got by with minimal stretching. So this is probably the longest and most thorough routine I've done. We do have stretching for the first 10 minutes of class, but its so fast paced, I don't think I ever end up holding a good stretch and breathing.

I've ordered 'Ultimate Flexibility' by Sang H. Kim, who is a martial artist, so hopefully I will increase my inadequate knowledge about stretching properly.

I totally forgot sit-ups and push-ups. We haven't had any push-ups in class yet, so I should build up while I can, and not be embarassed in class. I think I can do about 15 right now...pathetic. Sit-ups are better...I can do about 50 proper ones, but when we are asked in class to do 100, I think I lift only my neck for the last 50.


2/07: Just a note that I ditched this routine, and have been using the stretching routine suggested by Kurz for 4 months.

No comments: