Sunday, December 03, 2006

Teacher

In India, we grow up with an almost fearful respect of our teachers. We were made to show respect whether we really felt it or not, out of habit. Now its very natural for me to feel respect for anyone who teaches me anything, whether they are officially my teacher or not. I do think one has to humble oneself to some degree before learning. When I think of people I know who were not able to learn effectively, it is always in part because they did not humble themsleves sufficiently. I felt quite awkward when I got to the US and found that it was customary to address our professors by their first names. Back home, we wouldn't even say Professor So-and-so, but only Sir or Ma'am. So I feel quite comfortable in taekwondo class where we usually refer to our teacher as Sir, or Professor and certainly never by first name, which to me feels right, and the way things should be.

My taekwondo teacher started his training in 1972, earning his black belt in 1976. He continued his training during his undergraduate studies, earning higher degree black belts. He has been teaching Taekwondo at my university for around 15 years now, and is also a member of the faculty.

I am amazed at his level of academic accomplishment along with the level of his dedication to teaching taekwondo. I've gradually come to think that perhaps its possible for me too, to devote serious time to training and fulfil my academic goals.

4 comments:

uchi deshi said...

Thanks for the link. I will add you to my list of blogs.

uchi deshi said...

Thanks for the message! We must have crossed paths on the internet!

Little Cricket said...

Actually, I left my message in response to yours :).

Sorry I didn't ask about linking before I linked to you. I'm never sure what the linking etiquette is...should one ask beforehand? Should one convey its ok not to 'reciprocate-link'?
:D

Anonymous said...

Hi Cricket.
I just came across your blog 'cus we have similar blog names. I will make a link to your blog!

Check out mine:
http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

Keep up the good blog!