Sunday, March 18, 2007

Whon Hyo

I have started learning my next form Whon Hyo. I think this is my favorite yet. Its more complex than the others I've learnt so far, Chonji, Dan Gun and Do San. It might be I feel that just because its new.

This is the first pattern with side kicks. In the front foot side kick, from the fighting stance, say with the left foot forward, you pivot on your right foot while turning to the right, and chambering the left knee by bending and pointing it downward towards the floor. The back foot side kick is from the front stance. Say you have your right leg at the back. The first step is to lift your right leg high while bending the knee, towards your torso/shoulder. This is the chamber. Next, you pull your torso back while extending the leg in a kick. At the instant of the kick, the standing foot pivots, and you end up in the side kick position.

We used to practice the back foot side kick a lot when we were just beginning, but in class now, we mostly practice the front foot, just because we rarely start in the front stance. So my back foot side kick is a bit rusty, but its not a very easy kick either. So I'm glad to see its in the form, and I'll be getting some practice at it.

I saw a video of a person doing Whon Hyo here. We use more exaggerated low stances and a lot more pivoting motion of the hips while blocking. Power from the hips is one of the things that my teacher emphasises a lot, the other being really deep stances, the idea being that the deeper you are, the more stable, and the harder it is for someone to push you over.

7 comments:

Mathieu said...

:)

learning new forms is always fun. Challenging and rewarding too.

Have fun, lc.

Little Cricket said...

Thanks, Mat. :)

Colin Wee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colin Wee said...

I'd like to share some information that I have on my forum with you. It's interesting that you say your school emphasizes deeper stances than the video you had - sounds as though you're practicing something similar to what we do in our school.

Check out ... TKD Patterns at TMAC Forum

Let me know what you think.

Colin

Little Cricket said...

Hi Colin Sir,

Thanks for the pointer.
Wow, the information on your site looks GREAT. I browsed a little through the threads on each form, and its just what I am looking for. At our school, we haven't had a lot of emphasis on explanations of the things we do in the form, e.g. in what situations what kinds of attacks and blocks are useful. (I guess one way is just to pick up these things by trial and error).

And our style is indeed similar. I noticed that you referenced gt-tkd, so in fact it is what you are referring to since that is the website of my school!

Best,
Little Cricket

Little Cricket said...

Colin Sir,

I my excitement I forgot to add:

I haven't practiced any other style to compare with, but I feel like the deeper stances and stiff pivots add power to the execution of the form. Its a good workout, and really looks like you are fighting off real attackers!

LC

Colin Wee said...

I haven't practiced any other style to compare with, but I feel like the deeper stances and stiff pivots add power to the execution of the form. Its a good workout, and really looks like you are fighting off real attackers!

Please just call me Colin.

All forms should allow you to fight off real (and even imagined!) attackers.

I like to think of Chon-ji and Dan-gun as a way to 'fight' or beat an attacker. Do-san as a collection of self defence techniques to take down an opponent. Won-hyo however pulls the attacker in, chews him up, and spits him out. It is not an overtly powerful form - like Yul-guk.

There is some information on Won-hyo in an article I wrote for my parent organisation ... Taekwondo Article on A-KaTo

Rgds,

Colin