Sunday, January 28, 2007

Look Ma, I Can Wheel Kick

Today we were practicing a combination where you spin stomp kick and then do a wheel kick. And something just clicked and for the first time, so that I felt myself doing a wheel kick the right way! It was as if a channel had opened directly from my brain to my leg and information was flowing freely along it -- it really felt like that. I think what I finally got was how to separate the motion of my upper body and my leg so they are at 180 degrees during the 'wheel' portion of the kick. Actually, I couldn't make out what I was doing differently to achieve this, so it seems a bit magical at this point. I have to think of a better way to explain, perhaps in pictures. Anyway, finally some kind of missing piece was put in place. I hope I don't lose it!

What's fascinating to me is how there is a kind of subconscious learning going on all the time, perhaps from watching others, perhaps from doing it wrongly and it feeling wrong. Then at some point, there is a threshold where the subconscious learning becomes enough to translate into action.

2 comments:

Mathieu said...

a 4th dan Chito-Ryu explained this phenomenon to me this way :

[quote]In the learning process, there are various stages where your body knows more than your mind, and where your mind knows more than your body.

You'll go through these phases on and off, going between the two.

It's normal and don't worry too much. It's like that until Ni-Dan. (2nd Dan)[/quote]


Let things click. You probably thought you had the right body mechanics. They're probably already right in your mind. Your body just followed. That's great!

Cheers!

Little Cricket said...

That's a good way to put it, I'll keep that quote in mind.

lc