Friday, November 10, 2006

Flying Side Kick


If there's one kick I want to become good at, its flying side kick! I tried one for the first time yesterday. I simply had a feeling of amazement that my body could be capable of doing this thing which seems to defy all the rules of gravity!

As I understood, here's how to do it: From fighting stance (body sideways (right), face forward), take a biggish step with back (right) leg, then a step with the other (left) leg. At this point, start to pull the kicking knee (right) towards your chin. This will have the effect of making the non-kicking (left) leg come up off the ground. Then straighten kicking (right) leg to kick. When raising knee to chin, try to keep the upper body straight, i.e. draw the knee up instead of pointing chin down. Try to hold the non-kicking (left) leg close, almost as if sitting. I think that the 'boost' for getting off the ground starts with the action of pulling the kicking knee up towards your body, and not so much by jumping off the ground with your non-kicking leg.

3 comments:

John Vesia said...

Supposedly, the idea of a flying/jump kick was to knock enemy soldiers off horseback. Not the most practical move, but they sure look great! Good luck getting it down.

Little Cricket said...

That's interesting. True that it doesn't seem practical for fighting on foot. I feel improving my speed on basic kicks like roundhouse and back kick will make me more effective at sparring rather than the more complicated kicks.

Anonymous said...

Another use for jumping kicks was against an opponent using a weapon (such as sword or staff) who was attacking you legs.
If they swung at your legs you could jump out of the way and attack them simultaneously.